Saturday, August 28, 2010

Anybody else watching Beck's speech??

I'm tuning in late to the live feed on the Washington Post's website. I had more important things to do earlier (like taking the girls to a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese). It seems that Beck is now styling himself to be a preacher. Faith, hope, and charity from the mouth of Glenn Beck. Ugh. My stomach is turning. But maybe that's just the pizza from the party...

This event seems to be more like an old time tent revival - complete with gospel singers and for some reason, bagpipes - than about honor. Unless the only way to have honor is to be religious.

I'm glad he's raised to much money for such a worthy cause. I hope that there will be something left over for the SOWF after paying for the costs of putting on such a display of false piety. As it says on the revival's - I mean rally's - website...
"The purchase of Restoring Honor Rally merchandise is not a donation to SOWF, but all net proceeds from the sale of Restoring Honor Rally merchandise is being donated to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. All contributions made to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF) will first be applied to the costs of the Restoring Honor Rally taking place on August 28, 2010. All contributions in excess of these costs will then be retained by the SOWF."

Call me a cynic, but I'm figuring precious little will be left over after all is said and done. I'll make my donation directly to the Foundation, thank you very much. How about following what the bible says about piety and charity Mr. Beck?

From Matthew 6...

1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Prayer
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Thoughts???

2 comments:

  1. If you make a donation to this rally, and they in turn donate whatever is left over to a non profit, do they then get the tax write off and not you? Makes me wonder.
    And I still don't know who this guy is. I guess I'll have to look him up just to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... I had more important things to do ..."

    Me to. Watch TV reruns, clip my nails, weed the garden, watch paint dry. All more important than Glen Beck.

    ReplyDelete