Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bullies suck.

Last week I posted about the tragic deaths of three young men as the result of bullying in their schools. They were being bullied for their sexual orientation. I was outraged and saddened but in a distant sort of liberal pinko peacenik sort of way.

Now it's personal. My baby came home from kindergarden yesterday in tears. The reason - bullying. Pint sized bullying. For no particular reason, two little girls in her class have decided that it'll be fun to pick on my daughter. Look at this face - why would you want to make this beautiful face cry?

It started with my daughter being the only girl in her class (there are only 4 girls in her class) not invited to a sleep over. Then it was was the giggling and making faces at her when she walked into the building. Then it was calling her yucky and disgusting and ridiculing everything she says and does. They have figured out that this sweet little girl is a bit on the sensitive side and it's easy to make her miserable and bonus! it's fun.

I've spoken with the teacher who was blissfully unaware that it was going on. When I asked to have a conference with the parents of the other girls I was told it was against school policy and that they would talk to the children and their parents. Not good enough. They need more than a note home. I want these parents to see how their children's behavior is impacting my child. I want to hear from these parents what their plans are for addressing this behavior.

When talking to another mom about this, she shared that her daughter (I'll call her Suzie) was bullied for a good part of last year when she was in kindergarden - so much so that she refuses to take the bus this year. Yes, kids will be kids, but the bullying - especially with girls, seems to be starting earlier and earlier.

We need to start holding our children - even our youngest children, accountable for their words and actions. Bullying, even pint-sized bullying cannot be tolerated. We also need to give our children the skills they need to counter bullying.

And we need to start holding parents, teachers, and administrators accountable as well. If this kind of bullying is tolerated in kindergarden and first grade, just image what terrors these little girls will be by the time they get to high school.

To the parents of these two little mean girls in training: Are you going to tell me you don't see these behaviors in your children? Come on. I can see it in the 5 minutes I spend with your daughters before and after school everyday. Do you think it's cute or cool? Or do you just think that my daughter needs to toughen up? Just wait until it's your child that is the victim of bullying.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bullies aren't born, they're made. It's up to us to stop the cycle of bullying. We don't all have to be friends but we do need to learn to be respectful of each other.

1 comment:

  1. I think kids learn how to bully at home. They learn it from their parents, older siblings and TV. It's groupthink: you're part of a group when you gang up on someone. That's better than being alone. (Maybe you're alone a lot at home)

    Sadly, most adults don't think about their own conduct around bullying unless it reaches a degree that interrupts their routine thinking.
    That's where the learning moment is.

    ReplyDelete